Re: "insane spring constant" error

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: "insane spring constant" error
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 02:25:08 +0200

2007/7/28, Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:

> That's funny, I can't reproduce it (with or without the
> Time_signature_engraver). Do you have another example that causes the
> problem?

Jean-Charles has encountered problems too when compiling the
Documentation (he says almost every snippet produced this message).

I was running LilyPond 2.11.28 on linux x86 (now I'm back to 2.11.27,
but I'm reinstalling .28 to see if I can reproduce it).

Nearly every score I tried to compile produced this message, in fact.
And each time, I could "fix" it by removing something: the
Time-signature_engraver, the SlashSeparator thing, or the tremolo
repeats (see my previous mails)...

OK, I've just reinstalled .28, and it's doing it again with both
samples I posted yesterday. "programming error: insane spring
constant" (the output is fine though).

Weird.

In addition to the two snippets I already posted, I tried to launch a
benchmark with several scores I found on Mutopia, using different
versions of lilypond, on different OS (32 and 64 bit linux versions)

It seems to happen exclusively with "large" scores (i.e. orchestral scores)

2.11.28: the "insane" message was displayed about 600 times, with a
huge huge huge CPU activity (the first try, with another score, made
my computer crash after 50 minutes) -- I have 1024 Mo of RAM, and no
swap partition; maybe this is a possible explanation?

2.11.27: no error message, the compilation went right and I was still
able to use firefox when it was working. My best results were with
2.11.27 64bits version; it's really amazing!

2.10.25: a few minor errors due to obsolete code, but it was fine (not
as fast as 2.11.27 though)

Besides, I noticed compilation went much faster with .27 than .28;
e.g. 2 minutes vs 3 minutes for .28!

OK, now I've just spent a couple hours testing, installing,
uninstalling different versions at least 30 times, so I hope we'll
find why this is happening...

Obviously, something was changed in .28 code -- at least, now I
understand what "development version" means ;)

Regards,
Valentin