Re: GDP: add "extender line" to the glossary?

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: Re: GDP: add "extender line" to the glossary?
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:14:37 -0700

On 9/28/07 12:05 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Should we add "extender line" to the glossary?  Is this a real musical
> term, or a made-up lilypond term?  Any vocalists want to comment?

I've found a couple references:

In a set of songs published by A-R Editions in their Music of the United
States of America series, volume 7, p. 352:

"The original sheet music [from the late 1800s] indicates prolongation of
one syllable of text over an extended pitch usually by means of a series of
dots. These have been changed to a standard extender line in accordance with
modern practice."

Second citation from "A Music Representation Requirement Specification for
Academia", by Donald Byrd at the Indiana Univerisity School of Music:

Item 15.3, Graphic. Prioritized as "Very desireble"
An optional ³extender² line of arbitrary extent after the text. (This can be
useful for many purposes, such as melismatic lyrics, indications of the
string to play, etc.)

Since Dr. Byrd is well respected in musical academia, I think his use of the
term qualifies it as "authoritative", and therefore deserving of a spot in
the glossary.

Regards,
Kurtis