Re: Time signatures contd. (was Re: hang --"going backwards in time; " "

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Time signatures contd. (was Re: hang --"going backwards in time; " "insane spring )
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:35:06 +0100

On 27 Nov 2007, at 22:05, Vivian Barty-Taylor wrote:

On the subject of time signatures with a denominator-base other than two, Henry Cowell in his book "New Musical Resources" proposes a notation system with different shaped note-heads to represent different base-lengths. This should be quite easy to implement in Lilypond. Might see if I can do that just for the fun...

I have an idea of making outline flags, and then in effect write out binary numbers (as the system already is binary). Easy to remember, and probably not difficult to implement.

The problem is really quadruplets: in for example the proportion 4:3, there is no need for such extensions. But writing a series of dotted notes instead of a quadruplet communicates a different musical idea.

So n-uplets communicates the idea of a general division into n parts.

Here is a fun example:
{
  \time 2/8
  \times 2/3 { e16 f16 } g8 \times 2/3 { a16 } |
}
(There seems to be a bug in the output.)

  Hans Åberg