Re: GDP: What term do you use? (redux)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use? (redux)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:38:52 +0100

Simon Dahlbacka wrote:
FWIW, it seems that Finnish is the only? language that includes the "note/rest" part. (http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/music-glossary/Duration-names-notes-and-rests.html#Duration-names-notes-and-rests <http://kainhofer.com/%7Elilypond/Documentation/user/music-glossary/Duration-names-notes-and-rests.html#Duration-names-notes-and-rests>)

And the swedish name for 128th would be
hundratjugoåttondel
and 256th
tvåhundrafemtiosjättedel

Right, so similarly to Danish, for example, words for the corresponding note and
rest is:

128th rest: hundratjugoåttondelspaus
128th note: hundratjugoåttondelsnot
256th rest: tvåhundrafemtiosjättedelspaus
256th note: tvåhundrafemtiosjättedelsnot

For the question about playing in a different octave, the verb is
"oktavera" in Swedish. I'm not sure how I would express myself
if I wanted a music typesetter to use a "ottava bracket" in the notation.

  /Mats

/Simon

2008/2/18, Kurt Kroon <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>:

    On 2/17/08 1:09 PM, "Risto Vääräniemi" <address@hidden
    <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    > More stuff:
    > Quarter notes and rests seem to be named as neljännesosanuotti and
    > neljännesosatauko in the glossary. They are understandable but more
    > common words are neljäsosanuotti and neljäsosatauko.

    Common as in:
    * "Any Finnish person would understand immediately"? or
    * "Any Finnish _musician_ would understand immediately"?

    I'm aiming for the second case -- a "musically correct" name, but
    if the
    "Finn on the street" can puzzle it out as a special use of ordinal
    numbers
    (which is how it looks to me,  but that's only a guess because I
    don't speak
    Finnish), so much the better.

    > More or less the same goes for 32th notes and rests. I don't
    think the
    > names in the glossary are really used. I think it would be more
    proper
    > to use kolmaskymmeneskahdesosanuotti (32-osanuotti, 1/32-osanuotti)
    > for the 32th note and kolmaskymmeneskahdesosatauko (32-osatauko,
    > 1/32-osatauko) for the 32th rest. ...

    Odd ... they're in the table under "Duration names notes and
    rests", but not
    under the individual entry in the Glossary.

    It looks like I have more cleanup to do.

    Thanks!
    Kurt

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing