Re: free LilyPond advertising

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: free LilyPond advertising
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:11:38 -0500

Hi Joseph,

Another third-party view ....  What makes Finale and Sibelius nice in
many situations is that they are not just notation tools but
_composition_ tools, which allow you to enter into a dialogue between
notation, playback and performance. As a result, it tends to smooth the
passage between experimental and sketching stages of composition and
producing the final score.  Lilypond is more suitable for a case where
you already know precisely what you want to notate.

Good point.

I do *all* of my composition with paper and pen(cil), and only use the computer for engraving -- therefore, none of the [undeniable] benefits you mention are applicable to me (i.e., my compositional process).

Cheers,
Kieren.