Re: In octaves

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: In octaves
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:35:41 -0500

Ok, so if I wanted to have both options available, how would I do the scheme code to define, say, "octavesUp = " and "octavesDown = ". I see from Valentin's tip how to change it so that \octaves will be either up down, but it would be great to be able to do both. Either that, or for the \relative stuff to work. I sent a message to the list with examples of what happened when I tried using a , or ' with the \octaves command but I think the message got blocked somehow (it hasn't shown up in my box anyway). Thanks guys,

Jon

Valentin Villenave wrote:
Hi Jonathan, hi Jay,

Jonathan: you need to add notes an octave lower than your voice: just
replace 1+ with 1- in the Scheme code.

Jay: actually, your code has one major downside: is doesn't handle
\relative mode very well. As soon as you add a comma or a single quote
to one of the pitches in the melody, the octaves go crazy.
Perhaps this is only a problem of ordering the elements in the
octavize-chord function, but I suspect it's worse than that.

It works very well in absolute pitches mode, though.

Cheers,
Valentin

--
Jonathan Kulp