Re: Starting a repeat at the beginning, II

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Starting a repeat at the beginning, II
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:06:44 +0100

Hi Ralph,

2008/6/27 Palmer, Ralph <address@hidden>:
> Greetings -

> I'm working on starting a piece with a repeat sign (bar "|:"). In order
> to get it to work, I used the Score.BreakAlignment #'break-align-orders
> structure. This works with
> \bar "|:"
> but does not work with
> \set Score.repeatCommands = #'( start-repeat )
>
> Is that the expected behavior? The Score.repeatCommands version does not
> produce an error in the log, but no repeat sign is printed. If this is
> the expected behavior, I don't understand why Score.repeatCommands does
> not work. Should this be included in the GDP Repeats as a Known Issue?

I'm sorry that my post in your original thread seems to have caused
some confusion; I'll try to clarify here as best I can:

- repeat signs at the start of a piece can only be typeset using \bar;
as far as I'm aware, there's no override which will force visibility
using repeatCommands or \repeat volta, since this behaviour is
hard-coded.

- overriding 'break-align-orders is not necessary for \bar to work; it
just allows the tuning of the repeat position.

I'd suggest that you remove the 'break-align-orders override from the
\bar "|:" example; it just increases the complexity of the snippet and
also results in the repeat sign being too close to the time signature,
which would require another override to fix.

Regards,
Neil