Re: Towards something like a "helper" to write in Lilypond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Towards something like a "helper" to write in Lilypond
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:20:32 -0700

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:43:59 -0700 (PDT)
fsarud <address@hidden> wrote:

> So if I have to create something in music, I must be
> able to see what is happening at the same time, i.e. if I'm typing
> into a staff, I should be able to see what is in the others staffs
> that sound at the same time.

Something like NR 1.5.1 Parallel notes ?

> So, I foresee this fictional application as follows. A text editor
> (fulfilled with some Lilypond-command help in the way lilypondtool
> does) which at some moment, by pressing a certain key, shows a
> sketch, an image of the score at the point I'm writing.

Isn't that exactly what jedit / lilypondtool does?

> This image doesn't need to be as perfect as the final output.

That's a lot harder than you realize.  It might be possible with
svg export; it's a bit faster than pdf/png.

> If someone is interested in my experience as a musician using computer
> typesetting tools for developing something like this, please don't
> hesitate to contact me at fsarud at [(yahoo) or (gmail)] dot com.
> Again, please don't consider this a destructuve critisism but a
> constructive one. I love Lilypond!

These suggestions come up about once a year.  The main lilypond
development team is critically short of developers as it is.
There are a few side projects (like lilypondtool) that are moving
towards this goal, though.

Cheers,
- Graham