Re: best way to code music with instrument-switch

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: best way to code music with instrument-switch
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:39:20 -0700

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> Change the key in the music when the player
>> changes to an instrument in another key.
>
> But when this happens at the same time as the \global key change,
> don't you get an error?
For what I've done which includes transcribing pieces for different
than the original ensemble it hasn't occurred enough to be a problem.
In fact I don't normally use a \global key change just \global timing
and dynamics.

I would be glad to continue participating in discussions of more
sophisticated ways of doing this.  One starting place might be an
additional command for transposing from one instrument to another.
Certainly the \transpose command makes sense when transposing a phrase
from one key to another but is slightly confusing when one is thinking
of the keys of the transposing instruments.  Probably just a new name
for a command which simply reverses the arguments for the existing
\transpose command before calling it.

Paul