Staff spacing problem with piano centered dynamics

From: jimmy2
Subject: Staff spacing problem with piano centered dynamics
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:52:35 -0700 (PDT)

After months of work, I just finished setting a long piece for piano, using
the example
LES NÉRÉIDES given in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/examples.html as a
template.
This uses dynamics between the two staves,

\score {
       \new PianoStaff <<
         \new Staff = "upper" \upper
         \new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
         \new Staff = "lower" <<
           \clef bass
           \lower

The problem is that whenever dynamics are present, they tend to create much
more extra space between the staves than is necessary, leading to very
nonuniform looking
systems (see  http://www.nabble.com/file/p18454033/example.jpg example.jpg
).  I have tried everything  I could find in the documentation and on this
forum which seemed to be relevant, and nothing has had any effect on this
unwanted extra vertical space.   I will greatly appreciate any advice!
--Jim