Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU

From: Nicholas Wastell
Subject: Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:41:09 +0200

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:23:56 +0200
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/8/12 Nicholas Wastell <address@hidden>:
>
> > If you don't like the rtfm questions, don't answer them.  There
> > are, fortunately, some folks on the list with an ounce of patience
> > and good manners.
>
> Graham will probably not answer that, but... if you had been following
> discussions on -user and -devel for more than a few months, I think
> you would feel sorry for having written that. There's a reason why
> Graham can afford being... whatever he is (though, granted, you can
> hardly guess this reason from such mails as this last one).
>
> Hint: please have a look at
> http://schlitt.info/applications/blog/index.php?/archives/541-10-golden-rules-for-starting-with-open-source.html
> (I learned a lot from this page in my days).

Don't patronise me, don't make excuses for Graham and I stand by what I wrote.
I'm sure that he's busy and annoyed rather than rude and unfriendly and I
certainly didn't expect him to answer it.  Neither do I expect a rush of
messages agreeing with me.

The Lilypond lists have an air of exclusivity which is already very
intimidating to newcomers.  Overtly abrasive attitude and widespread use of
jargon and abbreviations are rife.  What's acceptable and amusing between
experienced users and developers doesn't always belong on the surface.

My point is that if he doesn't like the newbie stuff in -user, he should just
keep away.  The newbie stuff has to go somewhere; Graham wouldn't be upset by
it and the list would be a more welcoming place.  I no longer post my queries
on here, rather I make do with the skills that I can get from my own research,
or just fiddle things manually.  Frankly, posting a question here scares me, in
case I've make a silly mistake or replies are flooded with obscure code.

A shame really, as Lilypond is very good software, but the price can be higher
that one would imagine.
--
Nicholas WASTELL
France