Re: spacing problem

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: spacing problem
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:13:50 -0300

Look at simple-spacer.cc to see how the aggregrate works.

>> (If you do anything, please make sure it does the right thing for
>> polyphonic situations too.)
>
> Please elaborate.  I'm quite lost here and currently can't see the big
> picture.

If one stave has a dotted note and another has not, the result should
probably be something average between both. If you put the adjustments
in the Note_spacing routines  (which should get called per staff),
this should happen automatically

>> I am not sure if you should use durations rather than dottedness.
>> Should a dotted 64th need a lot of space to accomodate for the dot,
>> or should it be treated like a very short note?
>
> A dotted, beamed note gets automatically more horizontal space due to
> the dot(s); I think nothing should change in this case.  This holds
> for beamed notes in general.  Regarding flagged notes, I'm not sure,
> but many flagged notes in succession are rather rare.  The additional
> space I envision should be applied to notes only which don't have a
> beam or a flag.

see

Spring
Note_spacing::get_spacing (Grob *me, Item *right_col,
                           Real base_space, Real increment)

which tries to compensate for the symbol width using

  Drul_array<Skyline> skys = Spacing_interface::skylines (me, right_col);
  Real distance = skys[LEFT].distance (skys[RIGHT]);

Try looking at the result to see how dots influence the spacing params.