Re: spacing problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: spacing problem
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:17:28 +0200 (CEST)

> > Isn't this too small in tight situations?  Note heads might
> > (almost) touch...
>
> In tight situations, the rods take over the spacing.  I think there
> is a small threshold that makes sure they don't touch.

Where shall I look?  BTW, is there a documentation how rods and
springs interact?

> > IMHO, this should be configurable.
>
> You could look into the Note_spacing class, which could decide to
> add some more fixed width if the left side is a dotted note, or
> perhaps scale up the fixed width for notes longer than 1/8th.

OK.  Will have a look and try something.

> (If you do anything, please make sure it does the right thing for
> polyphonic situations too.)

Please elaborate.  I'm quite lost here and currently can't see the big
picture.

> I am not sure if you should use durations rather than dottedness.
> Should a dotted 64th need a lot of space to accomodate for the dot,
> or should it be treated like a very short note?

A dotted, beamed note gets automatically more horizontal space due to
the dot(s); I think nothing should change in this case.  This holds
for beamed notes in general.  Regarding flagged notes, I'm not sure,
but many flagged notes in succession are rather rare.  The additional
space I envision should be applied to notes only which don't have a
beam or a flag.

    Werner