Re: Questions relating to hymnals

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: Questions relating to hymnals
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:14:32 +1000

>>>>> "Carl" == Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:

Carl> I'm working on a hymnal, and I have some questions
Carl> about some things I need to do for it, layout-wise.

Carl> 1) How can I number the hymns (i.e., number each score). I can't
Carl> use strict page numbering, since multiple hymns may be on a
Carl> single page (and there are multi-page hymns). I also want the
Carl> system to number the scores dynamically, so that I can
Carl> re-arrange the hymns to allow for spacing and other
Carl> considerations.

You probably want to use Lilyoond-book, and write some LaTeX to do the
actual numbering.  Putting each hymn into its own Figure environment
would do the trick in a crude way, but customising a document class,
maybe based on the memoir class, is IMHO the best way to get the
effects you want.

Carl> 2) If I have verses with different rhythms (e.g., one verse has
Carl> only one syllable at a quarter note, but another verse has two
Carl> syllables in the same time period) and the rhythm of the verse
Carl> with more syllables is indicated using tied notes (so that the
Carl> rhythm of the other verse is preserved musically), how would I
Carl> go about inputing the lyrics so that the verse with more
Carl> syllables had its syllables in the right positions?

The best way is to tie the syllables in the lyrics of the verses where
you have more than one to a foot.
Thus:

  a b_c d

    ^^^ b_c is treated as two syllables in the printed output, but is
associated with a single note.  The underscore is replaced with space
on output.