Stem Combining

From: Daniel Cheramie
Subject: Stem Combining
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 01:57:32 +0000 (UTC)

Hi All,

I am typesetting a number of SATB hymns and noticed that mine look quite ugly
because of not combining stems in the desired manner. The hymnals I have seen
combine most stems on the SA and TB parts except for:

* Notes less than 2 steps apart
* Notes of different durations
* Eighth or sixteenth notes that are beamed ar enot combined if the other beamed
note isn't.

I would like to be able to specify each part individually and have them combined
automatically. Is there some simple way to achieve this with Lilypond? I can
provide an example if needed of one I have done by hand.

Thanks,
Daniel