documentation request (or feature request) w.r.t. polyphony

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: documentation request (or feature request) w.r.t. polyphony
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:16:06 -0400

Hey all,

To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of answering questions about "bugs" in Lilypond that are really just issues related to implicitly- instantiated voices, i.e., the << {} \\ {} >> construct. Even writing (or seeing others write) "look at the docs on explicitly instantiating voices" is getting on my nerves.
The four examples in the last two days finally made me write this…

Any chance we should — or even just COULD — change the docs so that the *FIRST* thing newbies learn is explicitly-instantiated voicing, and only *LATER* are they introduced to the "shorthand" construct?

Better yet, why can't the shorthand automatically "do the right thing"? i.e.,

should be translated automagically into

  << {} \new Voice {} >>

That way, the *only* time anyone has to do any tweaking is when they *want* two brand new voices — which is (AFAIK) the rarest situation of all — in which case they'd have to do

  << \new Voice {} \new Voice {} >>

Am I the only one who thinks this would be, overall, a better default?
Kieren.