Re: Trouble getting my page layout just right

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Trouble getting my page layout just right
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:53:34 +1100

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 07:46:16AM +1100, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:00:17PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>
> Hmm, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's strange! And it's
> nothing recent either---it's been a problem since I first put the
> score together, which seems to be four years ago.
>
> I've uploaded a score with annotate-spacing
> on. http://web.netcall.com.au/horsburgh/Downloads/entertainer-annotated.pdf
>
> I've tried that before, but I couldn't really make head or tail of
> it. The numbers tell me what I can already see, but they don't give me
> many clues as to why they're changing.
>
> Thanks for your help,

Okay, I've had a closer look at the annotated score (
http://web.netcall.com.au/horsburgh/Downloads/entertainer-annotated.pdf )

It seems that the property I want to control is 'Y-extent'. That is the
distance from the highest point of the highest elemnt of the top staff to the
lowest point of the lowest element of the bottom staff. This number is quite
different on each page.

However, there are two other numbers which stand out as possibly relevant. They
are staff-refpoint-extent and extent-estimate.

staff-refpoint-extent goes from the middle line of the top staff to the middle
line of the Bb Bass staff. For some reason it misses the percussion staff
(presumably because it's a DrumStaff and not a Staff?)

extent-estimate is less clear. I've got no real idea what it does, and it does
something quite different on each page. In every case it seems to start at the
height of the highest element on the highest staff, but goes down an apparently
arbitrary distance. In some cases it goes centimetres below the bottom staff,
yet in others it only goes down as far as the fourth-to-bottom staff. The
length of the line itself is different on every page.

In short, I'm stumped!

Any ideas?

--

Cameron Horsburgh