Re: Problem with grace note on first beat of first bar

From: Peter Wright
Subject: Re: Problem with grace note on first beat of first bar
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:44:15 +0900

Hi David, James,

It was the clef, yes, thank you both.

It never even occurred to me that the default treble clef could be
treated differently to a \clef treble - but I see now that the key
issue was that putting '\clef treble' in the *staff* rather than the
*voice* was where things went askew.

On 02/11 08:03:45, David Bobroff wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
[ snip ]
>> Note my last example specifically, where there are no other staves to
>> synchronise - and it still goes wrong:
>>
>> http://flooble.net/~pete/lilypond/leading-grace-note-still-bad-doh.ly
>> http://flooble.net/~pete/lilypond/leading-grace-note-still-bad-doh.pdf
>
> Okay, I tried this specific example and, yes, I got the extra clef
> fouling up the grace note.  I tried simply commenting out '\clef
> treble'  and it worked fine.  The default clef is treble, of course
> (you may well be aware of that).

I'd never really thought about it before - I usually lean towards
specifying clefs, etc. directly rather than relying on defaults.

> I also tried setting the clef in your 'global' block  rather than in
> the score block and it also worked fine.

Yep, that "solved" it for me too - only I couldn't use it on my
original problem score because it has more than one staff with
different clefs (nothing exciting, just SATB+piano).

> I'm still inclined to think that it's part of the known issue.

Well, I'm now very well aware of the grace-note-space-synchronise
issue; a good thing, as the rest of this piece I'm trying to typeset
has rather a lot of grace notes. :)

On 02/11 09:15:34, Bailey James E. wrote:
> oops, sorry, I didn't realise what was going on there, you should
> move  the clef change to the voice.
> \score {
>    \new Staff <<
>       \new Voice {
>          \clef treble
>          \acciaccatura {
>             \stemDown
>             ais8
>             \stemNeutral
>          }
>          b4.->
>       }
>    >>
> }

And thanks for clarifying it with code, James - that appeared to be
the key issue.

I'm not quite sure *why* the clef being specified in the Voice instead
of the Staff can make such a difference, but I guess I'll have to
reread that part of the manual and work it out. :)

Pete.
--
~
~