Re: Beat grouping and reverting

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Beat grouping and reverting
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:15:29 -0700

On 11/4/08 3:44 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl, you wrote Monday, October 27, 2008 12:03 AM
>> On 10/26/08 4:44 PM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Carl D. Sorensen Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:30 PM

>>> No, I don't think so.  The rules are beam-duration-dependent;
>>> beatGrouping and friends are not.  This is used to good effect
>>> in the rules for pretty well all the time-signatures.  So I think
>>> we have to retain the rules but without the switch-off-at-any-beat
>>> rule.
>>
>> We could at least eliminate all the rules that are covered by the default
>> beatGrouping, and it would make that many fewer rules to revert.
>>
>> I agree with you about the beam-duration dependent rules -- they need to
>> stay to keep the current behavior.
>
> I removed the turn-off end-at-any-beat-feature from
> the beam ending rules a few days ago, and have now just
> pushed the rules in 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8 which are covered
> by the default beatGrouping, leaving just the rules for
> 1/32nd beams.  If this causes no problems we could, as
> you suggest, add further default beatGroupings to
> scm/music-functions.scm and remove those rules which
> were made redundant by this.  This would leave beam
> ending rules just for 1/32 beams and little else, greatly
> simplifying the autobeaming (and the docs).
>
> Should I push on with this change?

This sounds reasonable to me.  If the regression tests pass, and you've
experimented to make sure that the beatGrouping rules match the current
rules, then I'd say go ahead.

However, you need to understand that I'm not an expert on autobeaming; my
main (only?) contribution was to implement beatGrouping.  So there could be
other consequences of this change that I'm not aware of.

With the work you've been doing on rhythms.itely, I'd expect you are now the
world expert on LilyPond autobeaming.

Thanks,

Carl