Re: [Choral] Voices/staves - moving from tenor/bass to T1/T2/B1/B2 andba

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: [Choral] Voices/staves - moving from tenor/bass to T1/T2/B1/B2 andback
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:41:21 -0000

Peter

Below is a possible approach.  This is far from a finished
piece, but it may give you some ideas.  It uses four staves
throughout, two for tenor, two for bass.  The Ten1 and Bas1
staves are used for the sections which are undivided.

The music is split into sections corresponding to divided
and undivided parts, in the example there are four sections,
A, B, C, D.  Each section has music defined for all four
parts, but for the undivided sections the music for the lower
voices contains just spacer notes.  Each section is followed
by a \break.  This allows empty staves to be removed by the
tweaks in the \layout block.

Making the ambitus work over both parts is trickier.  First
the ambitus engraver has to be added to the two staves holding
the top parts, and the music for the lower part added to it
using \hideNotes as a second voice.

There may be better ways, but I think this will work for you.

Trevor

----------------

SectATenOne = \relative c' { a2 b c d }
SectATenTwo = s1*2
SectBTenOne = \relative c' { a2 b c d }
SectBTenTwo = \relative c' { b2 a g f }
SectCTenOne = \relative c' { a2 a a a }
SectCTenTwo = s1*2
SectDTenOne = \relative c' { a2 a a a }
SectDTenTwo = \relative c' { b2 b b b }

SectABasOne = \relative c' { a2 b c d }
SectABasTwo = s1*2
SectBBasOne = \relative c' { a2 a a a }
SectBBasTwo = \relative c' { b2 a g f }
SectCBasOne = \relative c' { a2 a a a }
SectCBasTwo = s1*2
SectDBasOne = \relative c' { a2 a a a }
SectDBasTwo = \relative c' { b2 b b b }

\layout {
 \context {
   \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
   \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t

\score {
 \new ChoirStaff <<
   \new Staff = "Ten1"
   \with {
     \consists Ambitus_engraver
   } {
     \clef "treble_8"
     \SectATenOne
     \break
     << \SectBTenOne \\ \hideNotes \SectBTenTwo >>
     \break
     \SectCTenOne
     \break
     << \SectDTenOne \\ \hideNotes \SectDTenTwo >>
   }
   \new Staff = "Ten2" {
     \clef "treble_8"
     \SectATenTwo
     \SectBTenTwo
     \SectCTenTwo
     \SectDTenTwo
   }
   \new Staff = "Bas1"
   \with {
     \consists Ambitus_engraver
   } {
     \clef "bass"
     \SectABasOne
     << \SectBBasOne \\ \hideNotes \SectBBasTwo >>
     \SectCBasOne
     << \SectDBasOne \\ \hideNotes \SectDBasTwo >>
   }
   \new Staff = "Bas2" {
     \clef "bass"
     \SectABasTwo