Re: page-turn-breaking horizontal spacing

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: page-turn-breaking horizontal spacing
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:47:23 -0800

(moved to lilypond-user)
On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 16:09 -0500, Dan Eble wrote:
> Does anyone know why the variables that control horizontal spacing
> (base-shortest-duration, shortest-duration-space, extra-spacing-width)
> would have no effect when the page-breaking function is set to ly:page-
> turn-breaking?  With 2.11, some of my music is spaced incredibly
> tightly and I can't find a way to change it.

It's a little hard to tell without an example, but it sounds like
lilypond is refusing to give things more space because that would make
for a bad page turn. The page-turn-breaking function treats the
page-turns with higher priority than anything else, even if the
horizontal spacing is really bad. However, it should still use the
horizontal spacing settings to choose a good configuration. Does adding
\allowPageTurn in appropriate places help?

Joe