Re: musicxml2ly

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:35:09 -0600

Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
Hi,

Reading about improved MusicXML support for Lilypond 2.11.64 I decided to play around with the musicxml2ly tool a bit. I downloaded the collection of 18 MusicXML examples from http://www.recordare.com/xml/samples.html

and processed them with musicxml2ly. Then I processed the resulting *.ly files with Lilypond (version 2.11.64).

I will not describe in detail here what the results were. Some examples showed good results, some showed really obvious typestting errors, some examples exited with error messages when processed by Lilypond. Everyone

I did a similar test with some of my own scores exported from Finale to musicXML a while back with pretty good results. The most common problem was duplication of dynamic markings--very easy to clean up. I was impressed with the conversion overall.

quite another thread topic: Are there any women using Lilypond ? I haven't seen them yet. )

I can remember seeing messages from one, at least (!). I don't remember her name but she has a website with lilypond source files available for download.

As a a comparison I also tried the examples with the new Finale Notepad 2009. I hate to admit it but: At this moment Finale Notepad does a better MusicXML rendering job than Lily.

Not surprising, since they almost certainly created the xml files with Finale. Finale Notepad is a severly crippled version of Finale, though, while Lilypond's free version is, well, the only version, with all of the features of the full version. ;-)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com