Re: another newbie download problem

From: Pierre Russell Straddler
Subject: Re: another newbie download problem
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 02:25:02 +0000 (UTC)

Francisco Vila <paconet.org <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2008/12/8 Pierre Russell Straddler <pleaseandthankingyou <at> gmail.com>:
> > the cd ~/Desktop
> > sudo lilypond-2.10.33.-1.linux-x86.sh
> >
> > still didn't work.  I get the error
> >
> > "Can't open lilypond-2.10.33.-1.linux-x86.sh"
>
> Those filenames plenty of dashes and dots are almost impossible to
> type correctly, please do the following:
>
> - forget 2.10 and download 2.11.65, the latest candidate to stable release.
> - when gedit tries to open it, choose "save file" instead just like
> you did before.
> - move to where the file is and type
> sudo sh lilyp
> then press the [TAB] key. This should auto-complete the filename. If
> it is not fully auto-completed (maybe because you still have 2.10 in
> the directory), it should stop at lilypond-2.1, then just write
> another '1' and press TAB again.

excellent.  I believe it worked...  Yaaay!  Thank you.  But because I am new to
linux, I am looking for an "icon" to double click, and sadly am not finding it.
 I can see it in the /usr/local/bin...it's there with a number of other
obviously lilypond related documents.

does lilypond need to be opened from the terminal (shell?)--and if so, uh, how
do you do that again?

(newbie.)

thank you!

Pierre Russell Straddler