Re: \lyricsto vs. \set associatedVoice

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: \lyricsto vs. \set associatedVoice
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:32:46 +0100

Am 28.12.2008 um 20:31 schrieb Wilbert Berendsen:

Op zaterdag 27 december 2008, schreef james:
What exactly is the difference between \lyricsto and \set
associatedVoice?

I think \lyricsto is a shorthand for \lyricmode { \set assosiatedVoice ... }

so:

text = \lyricsto "alto" {
  bla bla bla
}

is equivalent to:

text = \lyricmode {
  \set associatedVoice = "alto"
  bla bla bla
}
Then I have to ask, what is the difference between

Text = \context Lyrics {
   \lyricsto "NumberOne" { Cee }
   \lyricsto "NumberTwo" { Ray }
}

TextTwo = \context Lyrics \lyricmode {
   \set associatedVoice = #"NumberOne" { Cee4 }
   \set associatedVoice = #"NumberTwo" { Ray4 }
}

I was under the impression that {} is a single musical expression, music expressions may be nested, and that music expressions enclosed in {} are sequential. So then, why does the example using \set associatedVoice work and the one using \lyricsto not? In fact, if
\lyrics "voice context" {}
is equivalent to
\lyricmode { \set associatedVoice =#"voice context" }
wouldn't my example be expanded as

Text = \context Lyrics {
        \lyricmode {
                \set associatedVoice =#"NumberOne { Cee4 }
        }
        \lyricmode {
                \set associatedVoice = #"NumberTwo" {Ray4}
(Which also compiles as expected.)

Also, since \set associatedVoice needs to have durations explicitly stated, they can't possibly be the same.
Most times I use \lyricsto and I put the lyricsto in the \score section, like:
Except, when it is necessary to switch voices in the lyrics, that's not really possible. Unless somebody knows something I don't.