Re: Insert new pitches

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Insert new pitches
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 07:27:15 -0600

lucifree wrote:
Hi all,

I wanted to add new pitches for percussion, eg : a second crash cymbal. So i copied the drumPitchNames section from drumpitch-init.ly into my document, then added two new lines :

drumPitchNames =
#'(
  (crashcymbalbis . crashcymbalbis)
  (cymk . crashcymbalbis)
% then copied here all other lines
)

(I also have a section 'myDrums' as explained in doc to set all my note heads & positions.)

The question is : there is a syntaxic way to ADD my new pitch to the default drumPitchNames structure rather than COPY it all ?? (and so benefit of later modifications in distributed file, reduce/simplify my doc length, etc...)

Thanks,
L.

You can create your own "definitions.ly" file as described in the Learning Manual here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Style-sheets#Style-sheets

Then you just have to put \include "definitions.ly" at the top of your documents.

I like to put the definitions file in my $HOME directory because I found that if I put it in the directory with the other lilypond program files it kept getting deleted when I upgraded lilypond. If you put it in the home directory, be sure to include the home directory in your lilypond command:

lilypond --include=$HOME filename.ly

This is the command on Linux anyway. I don't recall which OS you're using. You'll have to adjust if you're on Mac or Windows (actually I have no idea how to do this on Windows...)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com