Re: midi keyboard input

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: midi keyboard input
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 08:29:40 -0500

    Nicolas> Le 1 janv. 09 à 23:02, Laura Conrad a écrit :
    >> It looks like there are rumor-based solutions that might be closer to
    >> what I need.  I was hoping someone would say, "I'm entering notes into
    >> emacs via keyboard, and here are the programs I use and the order in
    >> which I start them."  But maybe nobody is entering notes into emacs
    >> via a MIDI keyboard.

    Nicolas> I used to do that: entering notes with my left hand on
    Nicolas> the midi keyboard, and setting durations (and possibly
    Nicolas> articulation) with my right hand, in an emacs buffer.

    Nicolas> I was using the combination lyqi+rumor, on linux. I don't
    Nicolas> know if it still working,
    Nicolas> though. <http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/lilypond/
    lyqi.html>

I tried it when I first had the keyboard, and don't remember what my
problems were.  When I have a new toy, I just try things until
something works.

I tried it again a few days ago, and wasn't able to compile rumor for
my current system.

    Nicolas> But that won't solve your audio feedback problem. (My
    Nicolas> keyboard was playing the notes, so I didn't care about
    Nicolas> that.)

It isn't that hearing the notes is really that important, but I
thought it was something I should be able to do.

I'm now thinking about whether my toy MIDI drum kit would do it, but the
problem is that the computer doesn't have a sound card.  Of course
there are old sound cards from former computers lying around, but I
really thought the USB stuff plus jack would do this.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Meek young men grow up in libraries, believing it their duty to accept
the views which Cicero, which Locke, which Bacon, have given,
forgetful that Cicero, Locke and Bacon were only young men in
libraries when they wrote these books.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, address to Harvard's Phi Beta Kappa Society on
August 31, 1837