Re: Accidentals problem

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: Accidentals problem
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:31:24 +0800

2009/1/5 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:
> You could place the es in a separate temporary voice and ignore the clashing
> note column warning:
>
> <<
>  ees!
> \\
>  \voiceOne
>  \once \override Accidental #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
>  \once \override Accidental #'text = #AuflB
>  \once \override Score.AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding = #1.5
>  < a d' bes'! b'! e''>

Hello all!  Here's a complete script that uses the letter b as a flat symbol:

\version "2.12.1"
 AuflB = \markup {b}
 \relative c' {
 \voiceOne

 \once \override Accidental #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
 \once \override Accidental #'text = #AuflB
 \once \override Score.AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding = #0.5
 < a d' bes'! b'! e''>
 }

The vertical alignment's wrong, but never mind that for now.  I'm sure
there's a fix.  The big problem is when I choose an OS-installed font:

\version "2.12.1"
 AuflB = \markup {b}
 \relative c' {
 \voiceOne

 \override Accidental #'font-name = #"URW Palladio L"
 \once \override Accidental #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
 \once \override Accidental #'text = #AuflB
 \once \override Score.AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding = #5
 < a d' bes'! b'! e''>
 }

You can try with any font that Lilypond doesn't know about.  The
right-padding specification is then ignored.  See I chose a really big
value so that you can't miss it.

Does anybody know how to fix this?  At least I know how to get strings
as accidentals, which will be useful at some point, but I really do
want to get accidental symbols from third party fonts.

Also, where does the original "b" come from?  Latin characters aren't
listed in the Feta font.  Is the standard text font blessed as a music
font?  If not, how do I override it?

                            Graham