Re: splitting chords entered as <<c e g>>^"with stuff" \etc

From: Tim Woodall
Subject: Re: splitting chords entered as <<c e g>>^"with stuff" \etc
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:13:28 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

I find \relative to work quite nicely for chords, once I understood that
the first note in a chord gets its octave from the first note of the
previous chord.  I use \relative mode virtually exclusively for note entry,
regardless of whether it's in single notes or using the chord construct < >.
I do use absolute when I'm in chordmode.

I learned quite a lot writing the script. I had assumed that it was the
interval that was important in deciding whether a note was higher or
lower than the previous note but I now know that it's based on the note
names and ignores accidentals.

So ceses->fisis will go up while cisis->geses will go down. It's obvious
once you've worked it out but I'd been getting away with fifth (7
semitones)=down, fourth(5 semitones)=up which works in almost all cases
in classical music.  A six semitone interval is fairly unusual and I had
guessed that there would be a setting to decide which way it want
\augfourdown, \augfourup or something like that.

(That explains some of the apparently odd ways I've done some things in
the script. Initially I was converting notes to numbers 0..11 but that's
no use when you need to distinguish between Gb and F# to calculate
whether a ' or , is required.)

Tim.

and there was light.

   http://www.woodall.me.uk/