Re: Whole note tremolo repeats - bug ?

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Whole note tremolo repeats - bug ?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:09:40 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Lasse Rempe <address@hidden> writes
As I've mentioned, I have played orchestral music for quite some time; violin parts often involve tremolo repeats on high notes, and I have never come across something of this kind - which would suggest that, at the very least, it is not common practice.

Be VERY CAREFUL about saying "what is common practice". It varies wildly with tradition. I've moaned about lilypond's defaults on occasion, because it typically follows orchestral tradition and as a band player, mine can be very different.

I play the trombone. I *NEVER* see bass clef parts when I play with one band. When I played in an orchestra I never saw treble clef parts. And yet I play with another band where I see both clefs. The point is, there are three *different* traditions - Orchestra = bass clef, brass band = treble clef, concert/military band = whatever suits the player.

But as a perfect example of lilypond following a different tradition to me - 90% of the parts I play have the instrument name LEFT justified on the part.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden