Re: bar "||" kills start-repeat

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: bar "||" kills start-repeat
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:51:50 +0100

mats, james,

On 30 Jan 2009, at 22:41, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Please read
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Bars#Bar-lines

thanks for the pointer to the \bar "||:". i'm slightly confused however, as the paragraph before the introduction of this symbol states:

"Although the bar line types signifying repeats may be inserted manually they do not in themselves cause LilyPond to recognize a repeated section. Such repeated sections are better entered using the various repeat commands (see Repeats), which automatically print the appropriate bar lines."

so basically that paragraph is telling me to NOT use the manual repeat barlines and use \repeat volta instead. but the next paragraph mentions the special barline "||:" which i shouldn't be using as the volta syntax should be used instead. is this only confusing to me?

maybe the section on repeats should mention this special case (which is where i was originally looking for information on why my start- repeat mark was being killed).

regards,
sb