Re: phrasing slur continued through a repeat?

From: Ed Ravin
Subject: Re: phrasing slur continued through a repeat?
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:01:57 -0500

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 11:00:23PM +0100, Robin Bannister wrote:
> Ed Ravin wrote:
>> Would the extra grace notes corrupt the MIDI output?
>
> No. But you can hear them, and you might think that inappropriate. :)
>
> Try out this: { \once \override Rest #'transparent = ##t \grace b4\rest\(
> c8 g8 c8 \) | }

By golly!  Invisible and inaudible grace notes!  Works great!  Could
I trouble you to explain how that works?  The invisible part is
straightforward, and I'm guessing the silent rest somehow makes the
grace note silent?

Also, I ended up using a more complex but more readable syntax:

        \once \override Rest #'transparent = ##t
        \grace { g32 \rest \( } c4 g8 c4. \) |

Since it wasn't immediately obvious that you took a shortcut by
typing in the terms after \grace without any spaces.

Thanks,

        -- Ed