Re: SPACING AND MIDI ISSUES

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: SPACING AND MIDI ISSUES
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:18:04 +0100

Op zondag 22 februari 2009, schreef mischa falkenburg:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a piece that currently is 84 pages in length.
> It is 6 voices in harmony. When the pdf files is generated, however,
> each page shows six lines at the top, a GAP, and then 6 lines again at
> the bottom...until the final page...when there are 6 lines followed by
> six lines - NO gap.

look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vertical-spacing and
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vertical-spacing-between-systems

you will need ragged-last-bottom = ##f

> The other issue is the generating of a midi file. The score has what I
> assume to be the proper \midi { } placement since there are no error
> messages...but I don't see any midi file being created.

do you have:

\score {
  << all music >>
  \layout { }
  \midi { }
}

in your file? (Note the midi file might have extension ".midi" i.s.o. ".mid")

> The spacing issue is a bit more crucial, since losing that GAP would
> cut-down on the number of printed pages required.

see also
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Fitting-music-onto-fewer-pages

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen