Re: midi2ly on Mac OS X

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: midi2ly on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:27:53 +0100

Am 28.03.2009 um 20:14 schrieb Hans Aberg:

On 28 Mar 2009, at 19:59, James E. Bailey wrote:

Additionally, since midi2ly, like convert-ly, lilypond-book, and lilysong are python scripts, at least on OSX 10.4, in addition to installing a newer version of python, the first line of those files needs to be changed to: #!/usr/bin/env python

When all this is done, you have a midi2ly which works as as any other UNIX program.

Exactly, the user on 10.5, however is already accustomed to the fact that lilypond is a UNIX program. This is not true for the 10.4 user, where the lilypond editor still works, and has an "update syntax" option that does not work.

I haven't used that editor for a long time - I used the same setup on 10.4. Once one have done the UNIX setup chores, it is very convenient to run from Terminal.

  Hans

Very true, but a user new to lilypond and using OSX 10.4 won't know anything about UNIX setup chores. And it's a very steep learning curve.
James E. Bailey