Re: printing rest in ChordNames context

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: printing rest in ChordNames context
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 07:26:09 +0200

Am 14.05.2009 um 07:08 schrieb Brett Duncan:

James E. Bailey wrote:
Am 13.05.2009 um 23:07 schrieb Stjepan Brbot:

Simon Bailey-2 wrote:

hi zoli,

Zoltan Kota wrote:
Is it possible somehow to display rest symbols in a ChordNames context?

yes. use:
\score <<
     \context ChordNames \with { \consists "Rest_engraver" } {

I've never seen something like that. What this rest in chords should mean?
For chords stop usually the following sign is used: ¬
--
I don't do much with chords, but I would imagine it means "don't play a chord here".

The usual notation is "N.C." for no chord - I cannot say that I have ever seen a rest symbol used for this purpose.

Maybe it's a regional thing (or maybe a composer who doesn't know). I'm in germany, and I had to figure out how to get a rest in the ChordNames because the composer was insistent. Regardless, I imagine the people who have to play it would understand what the rest symbol meant. What N.C. could stand for in german would probably make at least a 2 minute stand up sketch comedy skit.

James E. Bailey