Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Johannes Schöpfer
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 15:34:21 +0200

Hi,

As I already said some time ago when I made my own chordnames functions, I
still believe chordnames should be seperated from chords, or at least chords
shouldn't produce chordnames since it'll never be clear. And the other way
round there can also occur problems, i.e. with C7alt., how should Lilypond know
which chord to display then.

Another thing is the exceptions list.
I think instead of defining some standards (\realbook, etc.) it would be easier
to just type what you mean, maybe something like c:m7, c:mi7, c:-7
That way everyone could just type each chordname as they want it to be
displayed instead of selecting an exception for each from a list.

I have an idea that goes in that direction.
It would simplify both entry and interpretation:

Basenotes are the only thing really needed to be recognized as note to make a
chord(meaning just the basenote) transposeable and to get the duration.
Anything else may be added without interpretation.

Syntax proposal for \chordName:
Basenote[:optional text] [optional anyextension] [ optional "/" for
slash-chords [Basenote ...]]

Input examples: Displayed like:
eb maj7b5       \markup {\concat{Eb\super maj7b5}}
eb \triangle    \markup {\concat{Eb\super \triangle ##f}}
eb:add9         \markup {\concat{Eb\tiny "add9"}}
eb:omit3 7      \markup {\concat{Eb\tiny "omit3" \super 7}}
eb m7b5         \markup {\concat{Eb\super m7b5}}
eb ø7           \markup {\concat{Eb\super ø7}}
eb/G            \markup {\concat{Eb/G}}
eb maj7/f lala  \markup {\concat{Eb\super maj7 /F\super lala"}}
eb mixolydian   \markup {\concat{Eb\super mixolydian}}

New shortcuts like \triangle may be useful, for "ø" for example.
\maj may be an alias for \triangle

This would remove any exeptions for chordentry as anything is dispalyed as it
was entered.
Displaying the whole chord(<es g bes d>) interpreted as notes would not be
possible, but i personally never needed that.

Regards,

Johnny