Re: website draft 4, help wanted

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: website draft 4, help wanted
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:31:53 -0500

On Jul 8, 2009, at 4:54 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

On di, 2009-07-07 at 23:26 -0700, Graham Percival wrote:

Hi Graham,

I disagree; I think we've spent *too much* time on the look/feel

Yes, I understand that's how you feel. It's exactly why I sent my mail,
and why I reacted so strongly on this.

Modifying the CSS files can be done at any time,

Well, yes, but it's a matter of priority.  We have different
priorities, and I need you to see that my priority list actually
makes more sense, from a certain pov.

I agree with Graham on two fronts here. First, "look and feel" is less critical than content and organization at this stage in the development of the new Web site. Second, modifying the CSS is trivially easy (assuming the site uses a separate CSS file, as it should) once the design parameters are settled. And, third, I think that a badly written and badly organized Web site deters users far more than one which is not pretty.

My request, to Jan and others who are concerned about the look and feel, is to start writing CSS files that result in pages that look the way they think the pages should look. Then let the list know about them the CSS so that we can have a look at them. The look and feel are clearly not Graham's top priority here, so others should probably do this.