Re: \arpeggioArrowUp across staves

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: \arpeggioArrowUp across staves
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 19:05:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 8/3/09, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Mark Polesky <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: \arpeggioArrowUp across staves
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <address@hidden>, "Mats Bengtsson" <address@hidden>,
> "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
> Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 2:05 AM
>
> Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > I think a note about "arrowed" arpeggios that cross
> staves would
> > be helpful under the Arpeggios->"Known issues and
> warnings"
> > subheading in NR 1.3.3.  There's such a note
> about cross-staff
> > tremolos being tricky, which saved me from trying a
> bunch of
> > unnecessary tweaks to get them to work.
>
> Jonathan,
>
> I made an attempt to rewrite the arpeggio commands so
> they'd be
> more intuitive for the user, and I'd like to see of someone
> can
> test it out. You don't have to, but I'm hoping you'll be
> interested.
>
> Of course, if anyone else would like to experiment with
> this,
> that would be great. I'd be curious to know if anything
> comes out
> differently than you'd expect or if anything just comes out
> plain
> wrong. Feel free to try fancy things to see what the limits
> are.
>
> Also notice that the syntax has been simplified. So don't
> use
> these anymore:
> \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
> \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##f
>
> Use these instead:
> \connectArpeggiosOn
> \connectArpeggiosOff
>
> Also, don't use this type of thing anymore:
> \override PianoStaff.Arpeggio #'arpeggio-direction = #UP
>
> Use these commands in all situations (connected and
> unconnected):
> \arpeggioArrowUp
> \arpeggioArrowDown
> \arpeggioNormal
> \arpeggioBracket
>
> These are still not to be used in connected situations:
> \arpeggioParenthesis
> \arpeggioParenthesisDashed
>
> The file is here:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-08/txtDIrSYMGg1c.txt
>
> You can start with the example given at the bottom of that
> file
> and go from there.
>
> Thanks!
> - Mark

Hi Mark,
     I just tried it, and made some changes to the demo to see what
happens:

\new PianoStaff \relative <<
  \new Staff {
    \arpeggioArrowDown
    <c e g>4\arpeggio

    \connectArpeggiosOn
    \arpeggioArrowUp
    <c e g>4\arpeggio

    <c e g>4\arpeggio

    \connectArpeggiosOff
    <c e g>\arpeggio
  }
  \new Staff {
    \clef bass

    <c, e g>4\arpeggio

    <c e g>\arpeggio

    <c e g>\arpeggio
  }

I notice that \arpeggioArrowUp applies to both connected arpeggios.
Once you turn it back off, it reverts back to \arpeggioArrowDown.

I guess I would have expected \arpeggioArrowUp to affect all the following
arpeggios, regardless of whether they are connected or not.

What do you think?

I'll try messing with the brackets too when I get a chance.

-Jonathan