Re: arbitrary TeX expressions in a score?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: arbitrary TeX expressions in a score?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:11:01 -0700

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 09:58:46PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

>> With the possible exception of the font commands for markup or
>> things like the current date and time, I don't think that lilypond
>> output should depend on the computer.
>
> Doesn't it already depend on a LaTeX installation?

No.

> Just a few days ago
> I reinstalled my computer, and on Ubuntu, the lilypond package required
> some TeX packages which I noticed, because I mistakenly forgot
> to install texlive first, which I usually do.

Complain to the Ubuntu lilypond maintainer.  I would put latex as
a "suggests" rather than "requires", since you need it for
lilypond-book.  But you certainly don't need it for lilypond
itself.

> However, I am not saying that lilypond should depend on TeX,
> but if it could have some optional way to call TeX, that would be better.

My point is that if there's an optional way to call TeX, then the
(proper) rendering of that lilypond file requires TeX.

> Perhaps I am a typographical purist, but if I have some text font
> in my document, I don't want to mix just any font for lyrics.

Change the font, then!  I've already mentioned this as a
non-portable part of a lilypond file.

> Another example is the following. In some of my scores,
> I put boxed letters as annotations:
>
>   \override TextScript #'stencil =
>     #(make-stencil-boxer 0.1 0.3 ly:text-interface::print)
>
> and then later c1_"a" or something like that.
>
> In my text, I write "\fbox{a} is ...", but my \fbox{a} isn't spaced
> exactly like the box produced by stencil. There are probably many examples
> like this. I can live with them, but it could also be improved.

My first instinct is that something like this could be fixed,
although not without a proper minimal example.

Cheers,
- Graham