Re: Feature Request: ^\times and _\times

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: Feature Request: ^\times and _\times
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 15:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 9/9/09, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Neil Puttock <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Feature Request: ^\times and _\times
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 12:07 AM
> 2009/9/8 Jonathan Wilkes <address@hidden>:
> > I didn't see a place for feature requests on the
> documentation page, so
> > I thought I'd post it here.
>
> Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you're after, though I'd guess
> you want a
> shorthand method of specifying tuplet bracket/number
> directions in
> advance of the music itself.  You can't do this using
> the direction
> tokens since they're exclusively tied to an event which
> precedes them
> (i.e., a note).

Well, darn.  That's exactly what I was after.

> > Also ^[ and _[ which I think I mentioned in another
> email.
>
> This is possible, though (in fact I knocked up a patch a
> few months
> ago which implements it; if you like, I'll dust it off and
> invite
> comments for review).

I hope you'll do the honorable thing, sir, and marry it (Sorry,
I couldn't help myself).

>From what I've seen, Lilypond seems to do a good job with beam
directions, so there have only been a few situations where I would have
benefited from _[ or ^].  But I can imagine in some really complicated
instances with lots of voices it could be very handy.  So yes, I'd
certainly be in favor of the whole dusting-off process :)

Something else I just though of, is that there isn't a shortcut for
setting the direction of stems that aren't beamed.  It would be helpful if
there were a shortcut you could put after c4 to set the stem direction.
Maybe like ^| or _|

Thanks,
Jonathan