command-line usage - bus error (was: Re: lily2image)

From: Patrick Schmidt
Subject: command-line usage - bus error (was: Re: lily2image)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:28:36 +0200

Hi Jon,

> It looks like you don't have your machine set up for command-line usage on
> Mac (there's a page in Application Usage about this:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Setup-for-MacOS-X#Setup-for-MacOS-X
>
> If you've already done this then I'm not sure what the problem is. Do you
> normally run LP from the command line on Mac?
I had set up my machine for command-line usage according to
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Setup-for-MacOS-X#Setup-for-MacOS-X
When I type "which lilypond" the Terminal returns "/Users/PLS/bin//lilypond".
When I type "lilypond -v" I get "GNU LilyPond 2.13.3", so my machine seems to
be set up for command-line usage, but as soon as I enter "lilypond <filename>"
I get a bus error.

I used to be able to run lilypond from the command-line even though I didn't do
that very often. Now I can't even invoke LP directly
(/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond <filename>) without
getting a bus error. (I don't have any problems compiling ly-files with the
LP-Editor, Smultron and jEdit.) So my problem is neither related to lily2image
nor to LilyPond.app (Same result with 2.13.3, 2.13.4 and 2.12.2)!!

As this problem seems to prevent me from building documentation as well, I will
describe my procedure in detail. Maybe somebody can spot my mistake(s).

I created a file called "lilypond" and saved it in ~/bin. The file contains:
#!/bin/bash

exec /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond "$@"

I made the file executable with "chmod u+x lilypond" and added the line "export
PATH=$PATH:~/bin" to .profile (and .bash_profile). As I'm not familiar with
these files and as they look a bit fishy/messy to me I hope them to be the
cause of my problems. Here they are:

$vi .profile
# Setting PATH for MacPython 2.5
# The orginal version is saved in .profile.pysave
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH

PATH=$PATH:"/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/":/Applications/writer2latex10/
export PATH
export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh

export DISPLAY=:0.0

##
# Your previous /Users/PLS/.profile file was backed up as
/Users/PLS/.profile.macports-saved_2009-04-30_at_23:34:09
##

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2009-04-30_at_23:34:09: adding an appropriate
PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
export PATH=$HOME/bin/:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources:\
/opt/local/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2009-04-30_at_23:34:09: adding an appropriate
MANPATH variable for use with MacPorts.
export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH
# Finished adapting your MANPATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

~

$vi .bash_profile
export PATH=/Applications/writer2latex10/:$PATH
export PATH=$HOME/bin/:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

export
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources:\
/opt/local/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
# Setting PATH for MacPython 2.6
# The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH
export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

~

As I got the impression that some changes only work in .bash_profile I kept
both of these files. But maybe I shouldn't?  Could the content of these files
be the source of my problems? If yes, what do I have to do?

Thank you very much for your help!
patrick