Re: slurs and bars in vocal music

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: slurs and bars in vocal music
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:40:47 +0100

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 07:36:21PM +0100, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
>> For the record, does he also want you to use the old Novello
>> "backwards eighth-note rest" for quarter rests?
>> I mean, that was also the "common practice since Bach" — but people
>> [wisely] decided that a *real* quarter rest is less confusing to read.
>
> Is that a Novello thing? I still meet it quite a lot in old parts,
> especially marches. It's probably a B&H thing as well. It's not THAT
> hard, once the shock of hitting the things has worn off :-)

I play a lot of marches, but I can't recall ever seeing a B&H one with
those old-style rests.

BTW, the first time I saw a part and immediately thought, "Oh, this is a
B&H one," without looking at the publisher written at the bottom, I
realised I was becoming an engraving nerd.

--
Unless obstructed through environmental noise or great distance, holler-
ing can be  used to  request line  discipline from  the link  partner in