Re: No fiddling claim

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: No fiddling claim
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:20:28 +0200

Am Montag, 28. September 2009 19:33:09 schrieb Jonathan Wilkes:
> Hi Jan,
>      I don't understand the meaning of the statement "More often than not
> it isn't." There are tweaks in all of the examples from the canon that
> begin the sections in NR, plus there are plenty of engraving mistakes in
>  those examples as well that would require more tweaks (i.e., fiddling) to
>  fix. For example, in Op. 53 in NR 1.1:

Please compare with several printed versions of this piece:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No.21,_Op.53_(Beethoven,_Ludwig_van)

> * "cresc." should be centered

Some editions center it, some right-align it, some left-align it like
lilypond...

> * the end points of the slur in m. 36 should start about a half-space
> higher (or possibly at the top of the stem on the left end point)

Granted.

> * sf and hairpin should be higher

Why should it be higher rather than vertically centered?

Also please note that piano centered dynamics is not a supported feature. In
particular, see section 2.2.1:
"Dynamics are not automatically centered, but workarounds do exist. One option
is the ‘piano centered dynamics’ template under  Piano templates; another
option is to increase the staff-padding of dynamics as discussed in  objects
Moving objects."

Yes, that's a real drawback, but unless someone steps up to improve piano-
centered dynamics, things will not improve

BTW, which version are we talking about? 2.12 or 2.13 docs? The 2.12 dynamics
look perfectly centered. In 2.13 they are not, because that snippet uses one
of the mentioned workarounds, which apparently no longer works...

> * hairpin shouldn't touch the right barline

Granted, there should be a little space.

> * l.h. slurs in m. 34 and 36 should have more arc to be further from the
> sharp sign

In almost all of the scores the slur and the accidental touch.

> * p in m. 38 should be centered

Isn't it?

> and whole-note, respectively

What should be different with the whole-note?

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886