Re: Problem spacing arpeggio

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: Problem spacing arpeggio
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:50:44 +0200

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
in the second bar, using the same override does nothing to
increase the spacing between the arpeggio and the preceding note.

Hmmm... that's probably because of the multiple-voices... but seems like maybe a bug?
It is as if Lilypond thinks the span arpeggio doesn't extend that far up. I think this happening because of the single notes having \arpeggio. Lilypond usually discards such arpeggios with "no heads for arpeggio found?". But only if they are squiggly. The attached snippet shows - span arpeggio OK with chords - span arpeggio colliding when including a single note - span arpeggio OK when the single note's arpeggio wouldn't be squiggly - span arpeggio OK when the single note is overridden to be chordlike. The magenta bits show the arpeggios when unconnected. I tried to make this override so that you could apply it globally; see the commented-out entry in the \layout block. But I don't really understand what is going on, so I give no guarantee - that it will always work - that it won't mess up something else. Cheers, Robin