Re: anybody know apache? (dir structure of docs)

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: anybody know apache? (dir structure of docs)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:43:26 +1100

>>>>> "Graham" == Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:

Graham> Anybody want to save me a half an hour of maintenance, and a
Graham> few hours of sanity?  Look this up.  (alternately, if you
Graham> already know apache, just answer the question)

Yes you can do it.

In fact there is more than one way.

If you want /foo/ to always be the same as /xyz/bah/ you can do it
with an alias.

        Alias /foo /var/www/xyz/bah/
                   ^^^^^^^^^ note full path name on server.

If you want the browser to redirect and reload from a different URL,
you can do:
        Redirect /foo http://x.y.z/xyz/bah

Graham> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 12:31:31PM -0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys
Graham> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > The technical reasons for using web/ and doc/v2.xx are: >  -
>> easier rsyncing, moving, verifying >  - clean namespace --
>> currently we have quite some other >    things at the root.  it's
>> easy to get collisions, we >    need to really think this through
>> very well before >    going forward with this
>>
>> Can't we have the directory structure internally with /web/ ,
>> /download/ what have you, and use some serverside URL rewriting to
>> make translate
>>
>> /foo/
>>
>> into
>>
>> /web/foo/
>>
>> ? Does apache have mechanisms for rewriting the serving path
>> without rewriting the URL that appears in browser window?

Graham> I would like this.  I'd like that a lot.  We could keep the
Graham> simpler build structure, but still have simpler urls.

Graham> Cheers, - Graham