Re: Indent only one system, replace long extender with dashes

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Indent only one system, replace long extender with dashes
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:15:58 +0100

Frederick Dennis wrote:
Dear All,
\version "2.12.2"
How do you indent just one system?

Hi, Frederick,

perhaps I'm just tired, but no idea right now for this one.

Also, the section is voices singing: "Ah".
I used a hidden slur to get an extender

...which is not what you should do. Have a look at \melisma and \melismaEnd.

but would rather have a line of dashes
as the extenders look ugly to my mind.
How do I replace a long extender with
a row of dashes?

Look at the attached file. You might want to play around with all the properties of the lyric-hyphen-interface (see http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/internals/lyric_002dhyphen_002dinterface#lyric_002dhyphen_002dinterface), since those are not set by default for LyricExtenders. I also added a little offset in X-direction - if you also think the extender is too short without this override, you could also try a hidden note as the last one in the melisma, but for me this looks worse since it corrupts the overall spacing. Your mileage may vary, though.

Cheers,
Alexander
mel = { c4\melisma d e f8 g\melismaEnd | \break c1 }
% with hidden note: (instead of the third override)
% mel = { c4\melisma d e f8[ g8*1/2] \hideNotes g\unHideNotes \melismaEnd |
\break c1 }
lyr = \lyricmode {
        \once \override Lyrics . LyricExtender #'stencil =
#ly:lyric-hyphen::print
        \once \override Lyrics . LyricExtender #'dash-period = #2.5
        \once \override Lyrics . LyricExtender #'extra-offset = #'(2 . 0)
        long-melisma __ next-syllable
}

\score {
        <<