Re: \set vs \override

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: \set vs \override
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:25:02 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

We used to have the same command for setting both context and object
properties, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/topdocs/out-www/NEWS.html

I read

    The syntax for setting properties has been simplified: the following
    table lists the differences:

                    (old)                           (new)

              \property A.B = #C                \set A.B = #C
              \property A.B \unset              \unset A.B
              \property A.B \set #C = #D        \override A.B #C = #D
              \property A.B \override #C = #D   (removed)
              \property A.B \revert #C          \revert A.B #C
There is no differentiation between "context" and "object" properties
here.
Of course there is! The \property A.B = #C syntax was used for context properties (called "translation properties" in the 2.0 documentation) whereas the \property A.B {\set,\override} #C = #D was used for object properties (called "layout properties" in the 2.0 documentation). See for example http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Tuning-output.html#Tuning-output which explicitly states that you should not confuse layout properties with translation properties. In http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-10/msg00195.html you can find an attempt I did at that time to introduce the different kinds of properties and how to set them. I'm still missing this kind of overview in the Learning manual, but haven't really had the time to write it down.

I share your concerns that there's no clear-cut distinction between what is handled by layout properties and and what's handled by context properties, but it used to be much worse in old LilyPond versions, where we had more context properties that de facto dealt with only one particular layout object.

   /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering