Re: Midi2ly work for Windows?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Midi2ly work for Windows?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 00:39:44 +0100

Quoting Patrick McCarty <address@hidden>:

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Austin Wiegand
<address@hidden> wrote:
Am I just not entering it right or does it not work for Windows? I open the dos
prompt and type "...\midi2ly pi-type1.mid" and get the error:
"'midi2ly' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file."
Even when I just try running the program without a midi after it Windows doesn't
know what it is.

First of all, the PATH setting that was mentioned in a previous email should automatically be done by the LilyPond installation program, but you may have to log out and then log in again after the installation for it to work.

Secondly, you should just specify the command name, not any full path. For example, if you just type the command
midi2ly
you should get a printout like:
Usage: midi2ly [OPTION]... FILE

Convert MIDI to LilyPond input.

Last time I tried, it did not work.  See

I just tried it right now with LilyPond version 2.13.8 and midi2ly certainly works on a small MIDI file that previously was generated by LilyPond, so the above mentioned problem does not happen for all MIDI files, so if you are lucky it will work with your MIDI file. However, don't expect too much from midi2ly since it has several limitations. Especially, if often results in weird note durations, since it interprets the MIDI file too literally.

   /Mats