Re: String number tuning

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: String number tuning
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 09:21:13 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:00 AM

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

"Bobber" wrote Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:39 AM

Tried it but nothing happens:
{ \set fingeringOrientations = #'(right) c,2.-4 }

Read what the original responder advised:

In particular, be aware that modifications like \set
fingeringOrientations = '#(left) don't have an effect on fingerings placed on notes which are not within a chord construct. That is, if
you want a single note fingering to go left (or right or down),
you'll have to put it into chord braces -- <b-1>4 rather than b4-1
(that trips up a lot of new users when they start modifying
fingering placements).

Even with this explicit warning you still
tripped up ;)

So what does that tell us about the user-friendliness of this behavior?
Is there a really compelling reason why we want to have
fingeringOrientations ignored on non-chord notes?

No

If not, I don't see the educational value in tripping up lots of new users. It wastes their time and resources, and it wastes the time and
resources of the people educating them about their mistake.

Quite

Better change the behavior to the expected one rather than explain the
unexpected one.

We know all that already.  Patches will be accepted.

Trevor