Re: full repeat bracket for 2nd ending

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: full repeat bracket for 2nd ending
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:51:00 +0100

Richard Wattenbarger wrote:
Is there a way to force LilyPond to draw a standard single bar
instead of the ".|" glyph?

As I said, this flexibility is not provided. Which bar lines have this side-effect is currently hardcoded in C++. A likely enhancement would make this selection overrideable, so that it would be possible to temporarily switch in the "|" barline too. It would help in this regard if you could explain why you need the bracket to be closed like this, e.g. does it involve a coda?

You could go low-level and replace the BarLine and SpanBar stencils with Postscript routines to draw a suitable single line. But the original stencils have a lot of additional logic; this would be lost. Or you could keep the single bar line and replace the VoltaBracket stencil. But this would do the wrong thing at line breaks.

Today I had a lateral thought for a workaround in this special case: use overrides to make the existing stencil morph the bar line from "|." (sometimes automatically changed to ".|") to "|". So try using \simpleBarLineClosingVB instead of \bar "|."
simpleBarLineClosingVB = {
\bar "|." \once \override Score.BarLine #'thick-thickness = #0
 \once \override Score.BarLine #'kern = #0
}

Cheers, Robin