Re: space between pianostaves

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: space between pianostaves
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 20:21:23 +0200

2010/5/3  Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden>:

> Hi,
>
> [...]
>
> 1. My score has markups above the RH staff, and pedal signs below
> the LH staff.  It also has high and low notes with ledger lines above
> and below the staff.  Readability could be improved if I could make
> more space between the pianostaves, globally for the complete score ,
> but I want to keep the distance inside the pianostaff between the RH
> staff and the LH staff unchanged. How to do this ?

Hm, if I understand well you only have one PianoStaff (i.e. 2 staves),
no additional staves (instruments)?
All right, then you want to increase the space between the *systems*.
So you have to increase the value of "between-system-spacing".

Be careful, the vertical spacing feature has changed between 2.12 and
2.13, you must use the following syntax:

  \paper {
    between-system-spacing = #'((space . 8) (padding . 1)
(minimum-distance . 8))
  }

Change the values of "space" and "minimum-distance".  Both need to have
the same value or only the lowest one would be used (in this case)
**if I remember well**.

To keep the distance inside the PianoStaff (i.e. between the two staves
of PianoStaff) you need to use
  \override VerticalAxisGroup #'keep-fixed-while-stretching = ##t
for the *second* staff.

  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff { c' d' e' f' }
    \new Staff \with {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'keep-fixed-while-stretching = ##t
    }
    { c' d' e' f' }

> 2. I have a Dynamics context for piano-centered-dynamics, and I like
> working with this new context better than the template from 2.12.x
> (I'm using Lilypond 2.13.19 now).  But the default result is not what
> I want yet: I already found a way to shift all dynamic signs a little
> bit to the right.  (hopefully this will not be necessary anymore in a
> future Lilypond version).  But there is another problem remaining.
> I have put in the Dynamics context also dynamic marks (\f, \p, \<
> etc.) and markups like "rit." , "legato" , "poco a poco".  How I can
> I force these markups to be placed centered just like the dynamics
> marks?  It looks really ugly like I have it now.  (Let me know if you
> need a small example)

Sorry, the definition of the Dynamics context seems to be now included
directly into LilyPond (which is a good thing!).  But so I don't know
how they "force" Y position of DynamicLineSpanner (and since you said
"this new context is better than template from 2.12", I suppose the
definition has changed compared to the 2.12 one).
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Piano-templates#Piano-templates

Suppose somebody has the answer.  ;)

Cheers,
Xavier